Paying for your education: A guide for mid-career professionals in Canada

For professionals in Canada, pursuing further education can be a great way to advance your career, but how can you finance your education while still supporting your family and growing professionally? In this article, we’ll explore some of the different options available to fund your education in Canada, including student loans, employer reimbursement, personal loans, and more. Understanding your funding options will allow you to make the best decision for your circumstances.

Government Student Loans and Grants

Provincial Student Loans and Grants are typically available to Canadian students enrolled in an accredited university or college. If you’re planning on pursuing an MBA, you may be eligible for student loans. The amount of financial assistance you receive will depend on factors like your province of residence, the cost of attendance, and whether you’re a full-time or part-time student. With careful planning and budgeting, education can be affordable for working professionals.

The following programs qualify for funding in all provinces and territories (excluding Quebec and British Columbia):

  • Master of Business Administration

  • Executive Master of Business Administration

  • Master Certificate

  • Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety, and Environmental Systems

Employer Reimbursement

Many employers will reimburse their employees for tuition and other educational expenses. This can be a great option if you can find an employer willing to invest in your continued education, and this arrangement has many benefits for both the employer and the employee. From the employer’s standpoint, the investment allows them to develop a pool of qualified candidates for future leadership positions. It also helps to ensure that their employees have the latest knowledge and skills in business management. For the employee, it is an opportunity to further their career and earn a higher salary. In addition, they may also be eligible for promotion into management positions.

Be prepared as part of the process to pull together a brief presentation for your employer outlining details such as:

  • How your request fits into the company tuition reimbursement policy

  • Outline how your education will be a good investment for the company and how your request fits into your current assignment or future career aspirations

  • Information on how much assistance you may need and over what length of time

When using employer funding, ensure you know any repayment terms accompanying tuition reimbursement.


One of the most common ways for students to help pay for their education in Canada is through scholarships. Scholarships are financial awards typically based on academic merit or other achievements. There are a variety of scholarships available to students in Canada, from national programs to those offered by individual schools or organizations.

Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP)

The Lifelong Learning Plan is a great way to save for your future education. It allows contributions from existing Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs) to be used to help pay for tuition, books, and living expenses for those enrolled as full-time students at an educational institution. In situations where the student has a disability, attending school part-time may be eligible. Amounts withdrawn under the LLP do not count toward income, and the RRSP issuer does not withhold taxes on these amounts. Withdrawals must be repaid over no more than ten years.

For more information on requirements, visit theCanada Customs and Revenue Agency.

Indigenous Students

As an Indigenous student, you may have access to educational financing through First Nations. This means you may get the money you need to pay for school without worrying about loans or finding other funding sources. Community support is an excellent way for Indigenous students to get the education they need and deserve. If you are interested in pursuing higher education, check with your band’s office to see if you qualify for financial assistance.

Canadian Forces

If you’re a member of the Canadian Forces, you are eligible for Continuing Education Funding. Military support can help you cover tuition costs, books, and other materials. It can also help you with living expenses while you complete your studies.

Workers’ Compensation Boards (WCB)

If you’ve been injured on the job and need some form of retraining, don’t hesitate to apply for funding from your province’s Workplace Compensation Board. They review each claim individually and determine the available options. This funding options is available for programs in the University of Fredericton’s School of Occupational Health and Safety.

Looking for more information? We are here to help

We would be happy to connect you with our Academic Support Coordinator if you require further information on funding your education. Get in touch with a Program Advisor by email at or by phone at 1-877-454-6232 to start the conversation.